Join Our Team
The Challenger Learning Center of Tallahassee is looking for a few “out of this world” people to join the team!
To apply, send cover letter and resume to Bonnie Halsell at email@example.com.
Guest Services Staff
The Challenger Learning Center is gearing up for its reopening!!! Come be a part of our Guest Services team and have an out of this world time. We are seeking positive, friendly, and enthusiastic individuals for our Guest Services Staff and to facilitate the operations of the Center, including box office, concession stand and gift shop sales and inventory. As a member of the Challenger Learning Center’s Guest Services staff, you will be a part of the team that makes sure the Center runs smoothly and that every single guest enjoys their visit.
All employees in this position are expected to be customer satisfaction experts and must also contribute to the Center by maintaining a clean and pleasant environment for all who visit. All employees of the Challenger Learning Center must possess:
- Dedication to eexcellence in any and all tasks assigned
- Commitment to Customer Satisfaction
- Unconditional positive attitude
- Level 2 Police check is required
For more information about the Challenger Learning Center, visit ChallengerTLH.com, friend us on Facebook “Challenger Learning Center of Tallahassee,” or follow us on Instagram or Twitter @challengertlh.
To apply to be a part of our Guest Services staff, send resume to the CLC’s Guest Services Manager, Daniel Stock at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Challenger Learning Center The Challenger Learning Center is seeking exciting and engaging Camp Counselors that have a passion for STEAM subjects to facilitate their 2021 summer camps. Counselors must enjoy working with K-8th grade students; possess strong classroom management skills and be comfortable utilizing technology. Preference will be given to applicants with experience in K-8 or STEAM formal or informal (camp) education. Applicants must be able to pass a background check through Department of Children and Families. To apply, email your resume to Bonnie Halsell email@example.com
The Education Staff at the Challenger Learning Center must possess knowledge of and/or the desire to learn and share their knowledge in STEM subject areas. Members of the Challenger Learning Center’s Education staff work closely with all center management and staff to facilitate the education process. We currently have openings for individuals with elementary education and middle school backgrounds as well as those with STEM knowledge. Those seeking degrees in elementary education, secondary education, or STEM fields or seeking experience in these areas are also encouraged to apply.
Preference will be given to individuals with the following:
- Experience working with children in a formal or informal educational setting
- Knowledge or desire to learn STEM subject material
- Proficiency in educational pedagogy
- Able to work effectively with coworkers and management
- Outgoing and energetic personality
- Public speaking skills
Primary responsibilities may include but are not limited to:
- Facilitating hands-on science activities for grades K-8
- Facilitating space mission simulations
- Implementing classroom and camp programs
- Performing various science demonstrations for grades K-8
- FacilitatingSaturdayScience Programs
- Assisting with weekend birthday parties
Must be available a minimum of two days a week from 9:00am to 2:00pm and willing to work occasional evenings and weekends, and holiday breaks. Training will be provided for all programs.
The Challenger Learning Center of Tallahassee is looking for Planetarium Instructors to help with public and private events and hands-on activities for K-12 school groups. These events involve activities that supplement planetarium programs and teach astronomical concepts. We are looking for someone who can lead activities for groups of up to 128 students. As some school groups might not have been introduced to astronomy before, being able to communicate complex astronomical concepts at an introductory level is strongly preferred. Other tasks might include operating telescopes for star viewing events, setting up and running activities for public events, and providing A/V assistance for planetarium rentals. Hours will vary depending on the planetarium schedule.
The responsibilities of the job include, but are not limited to:
- Operate digital audio and visual and computer to present Planetarium shows, which include night sky tours and answer questions for customers (including school groups grade K-12)
- Assist Theatres Manager with the maintenance and operation of planetarium equipment which includes: a full dome digital projection system, sound system, cove lighting system, etc.
- Assist Theatres Manager with digital show presentations
- Other duties as assigned in the Planetarium facility
Must have knowledge of:
- Basic telescope use to view the night sky
- Star types, star names, constellation identification, and celestial motions
- Some image manipulation software and techniques
- Basic computer skills
- Good speaking and presentation skills
- Interpersonal skills including enthusiasm and patience
Must have ability to:
- Clearly describe astronomical concepts to audience members of all ages
- Communicate effectively with large crowds including young children
- Troubleshoot basic electronic problems
- Work under time constraints and unexpected equipment malfunctions
- Accept and assimilate constructive criticism regarding presentation skills and student interactions
- Knowledge and understanding of Astronomy and Space Science, including knowledge of the night sky. Basic understanding of audio and video equipment, signal flow, and cabling
- College coursework in Astronomy
- Knowledge of some deep sky objects and some mythology
- Knowledge of astronomy and science history
- Knowledge of historic and recent developments in space travel and exploration
- Public speaking experience
- Planetarium experience
- Experience operating digital planetarium theatre software (e.g., Sky Skan’s DigitalSky)
- Knowledge of the fundamentals of computer programming
- Experience with computer scripting
- Experience with photography and Photoshop
- Lighting variations include total darkness, dim lighting, very bright lighting, strobe lights and diurnal motion during Planetarium shows and night sky tours
- Loud music or explosive video special effects (on occasion)
- Hearing and speaking to exchange information
- Dexterity of hands and fingers to operate assigned equipment
- Bending, flexing, moving moderately heavy equipment
Graphics & Program Assistant
The Challenger Learning Center of Tallahassee is looking for a Graphics & Program Assistant. This is an hourly OPS position. You need to have experience in creating original content with Adobe design software, posting to Facebook, Instagram and Twitter and editing websites. Please see the responsibilities and how to apply shown below. We look forward to receiving your application.
The responsibilities of the job include, but are not limited to:
- Creating all graphics for Challenger Learning Center films and programs. Design and editing skills (use of vector-based work and stock photography)
- Submitting ads to advertisers
- Obtain printing estimates and submit material for printing
- Challenger Learning Center website changes (act as backup) requires understanding of website coding (filling in templates, uploading assets, etc.); required to train on Word Press (Divi Builder)
- Proficiency using Adobe Photoshop (for visual/editing projects), Adobe Acrobat DC (for exporting/rearranging documents) and Adobe Premier (for videos)
- File organization / work file separation
- Creating design templates for convenience of commonly-used assets (replaceable posters, film mylars, etc.)
- Social media posts
- Scheduling projects and meeting deadlines
- Assist marketing with any related tasks
How to Apply
If qualified and interested in this position, apply to Florida State University at https://jobs.fsu.edu. If you are a current FSU employee, apply via myFSU>Self Service. Applicants are required to complete the online application with all applicable information. Applications must include all work history up to ten years, and education details even if attaching a resume. The Job Opening ID is 47502.
JOIN THE CONVERSATION.
12pm to 10pm Sundays
Closed Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day
The Challenger Learning Center is located on the beautiful Kleman Plaza in Downtown Tallahassee.