CHALLENGER LEARNING CENTER COVID-19 UPDATES
We will continue to update this page with current information on our operational plans.
The Challenger Learning Center is a part of the FAMU-FSU College of Engineering and as a campus facility, face coverings are required in all indoor facilities. Individuals will not be permitted to attend face-to-face classes, take part in other events or access services indoors without the proper face coverings. For more information, visit the CDC’s guidelines on How to Wear Masks.
IMAX Theatre: In accordance with recommendations of university administration, the Challenger Learning Center IMAX Theatre is temporarily closed to the public until further notice. This closure affects all theatre-related programming, including Kids’ Free Day, commercial films, documentaries and any other regularly scheduled programming in the theatre. The theatre can be reserved for field trips and other groups for private screenings. To reserve your theatre experience, please contact our sales department at firstname.lastname@example.org or (850) 645-7777.
Planetarium Theatre: In accordance with recommendations of university administration, the Challenger Learning Center Planetarium Theatre is temporarily closed to the public until further notice. This closure affects all theatre-related programming, including planetarium shows, Monthly Skies over Tallahassee and any other regularly scheduled programming in the theatre. The theatre can be reserved for field trips and other groups for private screenings. To reserve your theatre experience, please contact our sales department at email@example.com or (850) 645-7777.
SCIturdays: SCIturdays programs are now offered on-site. Register here.
Kids’ Free Day: Monthly Kids’ Free Day events are cancelled until we reopen.
Field Trips: The Challenger Learning Center has many virtual field trips available. Limited on-site field trips are also available and at this time are limited to one school group per day. Click here to view our current field trip offerings, including our new CLC2You program. Please contact our Sales Coordinator to check on the status or availability of your field trip.
Facility Rentals and Birthday Parties: Facility Rentals and Birthday Parties are available for reservation. At this time (September 2020), all participants of facility rentals and birthday parties will be required to wear face masks.
Home School Days: Home School Day programs are now offered both on-site and virtually. Click here for days, themes, registration and programs.
Monthly Skies over Tallahassee: The Monthly Skies over Tallahassee shows are cancelled until we reopen.
Reopening: Due to the COVID-19 Coronavirus outbreak, the Challenger Learning Center is making adjustments to support the safety of our visitors and staff. When you are able to visit you will notice some of those changes:
- Box Office and Concessions plexiglass partitions
- Hand sanitizer stations throughout the facility
- Assigned seating in the IMAX and Planetarium for proper spacing
- Adjusted capacities in each room and theatre for proper spacing
- Face masks are required for everyone inside the facility
We look forward to seeing you soon, and safely interacting, when we are able to re-open to the public.
If you would like to see the adjusted room capacities please click here.
The Challenger Learning Center team appreciates your support and understanding during this difficult time. Below are several ways you can support us during our closure:
1. Purchase a membership. By becoming a Challenger Learning Center member, you can take advantage of discounts on tickets, gift shop items and children’s camps, invitations to exclusive, members-only events, free admission to participating Association of Science and Technology Center museums and institutions, and much, much more! If you purchase a new membership during our closure, please note that your membership start date will be the day we reopen. www.ChallengerTLH.com/memberships
2. Follow us/share on social media. A quick, easy way to support our organization is to like/follow us on social media! Find us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram @ChallengerTLH. Invite your Facebook friends to like our page, and share/retweet our social content. This will help us to expand our reach and keep our organization top-of-mind during our closure. Find us online @ChallengerTLH!
3. Write a testimonial. Nothing is more valuable in telling our story than hearing it straight from the people who matter most: our loyal customers. Whether you are a frequent planetarium visitor, a Camp Challenger parent, an IMAX lover or a general supporter of our educational mission, we want to hear from you. We use testimonials on our website, in grant proposals, social media and other opportunities. Testimonials can be a length and topic of your choosing. You can submit these in the form of a Google review, a Facebook review, or they can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
4. Make a donation. The Challenger Learning Center of Tallahassee is planning renovations to our IMAX theatre that will greatly enhance your movie experience. These renovations include new seating, flooring, signage, lighting and even a new IMAX screen. Your support in the quantity of $500 will cover the cost of purchasing and installing one new seat in the IMAX theatre. With your help, we can complete these necessary renovations to improve our movie experience for years to come. Revenue generated by the IMAX theatre supports the Challenger Learning Center’s STEAM outreach initiatives and educational programming in our 66-county service area. By submitting a pledge at www.ChallengerTLH.com/imax-renovations, you are bringing the vision for a new and improved IMAX theatre to reality.
Challenger Learning Center of Tallahassee Partners with Hamilton County Schools to Provide At-Home Instruction During the COVID-19 Pandemic
We are partnering with Hamilton County Schools to provide virtual instruction to K-8 students during the spring and summer semesters. The curriculum has been developed and prepared for virtual dissemination by CLC educators and will be distributed to students via the school’s online platform. Curriculum features art-infused STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics) lessons, presented in both English and Spanish. Each lesson includes a family component for families to complete a STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Art and Mathematics) lesson together. Included with the virtual STEAM lessons are corresponding IMAX documentary or planetarium show video links and lessons.
The agreement between the CLC and Hamilton County Schools includes instruction for grades K-2 and 6-8 in the spring and grades 3-5 and 7-8 in the summer. The agreement is designed to keep students engaged in STEAM topics during the spring and summer months in lieu of traditional instruction during the COVID-19 pandemic.
“Challenger Learning Center is pleased to work with Hamilton County Schools and provide virtual lessons for K-8 students, thanks to a Florida Department of Education grant procured by Mrs. Phyllis Porter of Hamilton County Schools,” says Susan Borland, Challenger Learning Center Education Manager. “While this partnership has existed for several years and usually includes in-classroom visits, the COVID-19 situation has changed that. Our education staff appreciates the partnership with Hamilton County Schools and thoroughly enjoys working with the students and teachers each year.”
JOIN THE CONVERSATION.
12pm to 10pm Sundays
Closed Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day
The Challenger Learning Center is located on the beautiful Kleman Plaza in Downtown Tallahassee.